Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Most Intriguing Character

So far Juliet has interested me most. Juliet isn't so much as interesting as she is just changing all the time. Juliet has not really stuck with one decision yet. Juliet makes me wonder what she'll do next. If i didn't know the ending i might think she'd pick a different guy than Romeo or realize she didn't like her decision.

At first Juliet didn't even want to consider love if her mother asked her in, and only under certain circumstances.  "I'll look to like, if looking liking move. But no more deep will I end art mine eye Than your consent gives me strength to make me fly." (Act 1 scene 3 lines 103-105) She is saying because her mother is asking her to like Paris she will try but not too hard. At this point I respected Juliet for standing up for herself but still being open to knew ideas. At this point I really thought Juliet was making her own decisions and it interested me that she wasn't letting her parents ruin her life even though she obviously respected them.

When Juliet met Romeo her whole respect for love and the wall she had built shattered. I started liking her a little bit less when this happened. Juliet was completely contradicting what she had originally said about love. Yes she was following her heart, but she knew it wasn't allowed and let her relationship fall apart with her parents. I think that it was a good thing for her to stand up for herself but she shouldn't have completely went against their wishes.

In a way this all connects to parent child relationships. Juliet originally was willing to let her parents control her life but as the story went on she built her own relationships. I think it was smart of Juliet to do something out of her comfort zone. She is being the rebellious like a teenager is always described. This interests me because it makes me feel like other than the language, Romeo and Juliet isn't so different from modern texts and people reading it really can relate to it. Juliet's character felt the most relatable to me which is why i found her the most interesting. I really felt like i could understand her in a way i couldn't understand other characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment