I just started the book Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon. So far it is about a girl named Renee whose parents mysteriously die. The death is mysterious because she found many things that are unusual in the death and there was no shown reason for why they had died. She is put in custody of her grandpa who before then she had never seen. Her grandfather takes her and he makes her move east and move to a boarding school. Once she gets there she realizes how weird the school is she starts making connections with the death of her parents.
Renee is an interesting character. She is trying to be okay with her parents death but she is afraid of the mystery of the death. She keeps trying to figure out why all of this happened. I think she may be curious or she may be afraid. She obviously has trouble with dealing with the fact that her parents died like many people would. She isn't getting that upset about everything as I expected she would she got angrier about getting pulled from her home. To have to try to fit in and survive in addition to wanting to know what happened to her parents is stressful and I admire her for having all that courage.
Although this story isn't really about a deeper emotional meaning and its probably some kind of mystery novel, but I think she is covering up her feelings about her parents dying with the mystery. I think she's getting a little bit over obsessed with the mystery. I understand that she is curious but normally somebody whose parents die is bad enough but she was rerouted and forced to a boarding school. She rerouted her life because she was forced by somebody she barely knew this is something that should be emotionally hurting her but she's not upset.
That's interesting. It is pretty weird that she doesn't seem upset. Maybe once she solves the mystery she will finally let her feelings show.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like the character is afraid of admitting what happened to her parents, and by shielding her emotions she can better protect herself from coming to terms with their death.
ReplyDeleteYou did a really nice post! Hope to read the book!